TVF is committed to diversity and equality and we aim to support a variety of people through our grants
An overview of The Visibility Fund
The Visibility Fund (TVF) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that aims to promote positive representation of underrepresented communities in media, especially LGBTQ women, through providing grants to filmmakers and media creators who are creating content for TV, online media or film distribution. Funds are available for narrative, documentary, experimental, and new media projects in various stages of production.
Goals & Objectives
- to empower the next generation of storytellers
- to share unique perspectives and stories
- to support independent voices
- to promote diverse communities and cultures
TVF is committed to diversity and equality
TVF provides equal consideration for all qualified candidates. TVF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Proposed projects should address or feature themes related to underrepresented communities and should meet the following requirements:
- 100% of funds dedicated to the film project (not to salaries or large equipment purchases)
- scheduled for completion within 365 days of application deadline
- subtitled in English
- Applicants should be 18+ years old.
- Applicants should be able to provide samples of their work.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
NOTE: Completed films may be in any language but must have English subtitles if not in English
Grants are available for all of the following types of projects:
Short Films, Feature Films, Web Series
Narrative, Documentary, Animation, Experimental
Funding & Support
Up to $10,000 will be awarded to 2022 recipients and can be used toward script development, pre-production, production or post-production
How to Apply
1. Prepare all supporting materials
2. Submit an online application
A timeline of how we process and award TVF grants:
Upon successful submission of 1. the online application and 2. all supporting materials, the candidate’s application will then be forwarded to the relevant committee for initial review.
Grants will be awarded annually.
How to apply:
TVF encourages both novice and experienced filmmakers to apply for grant funding. The application process is designed to showcase each respective project’s alignment with TVF’s mission as well as to outline the filmmaker’s goals, implementation strategy, outcomes, and expected impact.
All applicants complete an online application and submit a variety of supporting materials including a video essay. The video essay is an opportunity for applicants to introduce themselves, describe the project, and explain how it will be successfully completed.
General Supporting Materials (required for all applicants):
- Submit an updated CV/resume
- Submit a link to work samples, previous projects, or a portfolio
- Submit a 2-3 minute video essay outlining your background, goals and how you would utilize the grant money. Include any details about your creative collaborators or details about the current stage your project. The video essay must include you speaking to the camera directly but may also also be used to showcase your other creative skills. It may be filmed on any camera (e.g. DSLR, phone camera)
- Submit short-answer essays responding to the following questions:
- How does your project align with the goals of TVF?
- Why does this specific story need to be told and why are you the best person to tell it?
- Production budget & expected Post-Production budget
- List of creative team
- Completed script (or outline if script not completed)
- Crowdfunding page (if applicable)
- Video sample of directors previous work (short, web series or feature)
- List of any other grants already awarded to project
- Description of how the funds will be used
Grant Applications Open:
June 15, 2022
Grant Applications Close:
August 15, 2022
2022 Grant Winners Notified:
October 1, 2022
Information and Frequently Asked Questions about your donations
How will my donation be used?
Any money donated to The Visibility Fund will be used to give grants to filmmakers and media creators who are creating content for TV, online media or film distribution. We also aim to support creators through offering networking and educational opportunities.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes! We are a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S.